|projects:||Main Metagrams Toolbar for Mozilla Your idea?|
|resources:||Home Install Build the Toolbar Feedback Bugs|
Welcome to the Metagrams Toolbar for Mozilla homepage! The Metagrams Toolbar for Mozilla was created in response to the offering of a toolbar for Internet Explorer that interacted with Metagrams.com. The original toolbar was for users of Internet Explorer 5 and above on Windows, so all Mac and Linux owners and users without Internet Explorer could not use it.
The Metagrams Toolbar for Mozilla is designed to alleviate these problems for users of Mozilla-based browsers with extension support. The Metagrams Toolbar for Mozilla is designed to run under (but may coincidentally run on other, older versions):
- Firefox 0.8 and greater, and
- Mozilla 1.6 or later
- Netscape 7.1 - may be slightly buggy in some instances as Netscape 7.1 is old with at least three publicized security vulnerabilities, and I probably won't support it for more than a few months at most
- On all platforms - Windows, Mac, Linux, Unix, OS/2, Solaris, and every other platform for which each Mozilla-based product is made
Currently only the three previously mentioned browsers will be supported, with browser version requirements slowly increasing as time passes. (Please note that support does not guarantee any problems encountered will be fixed; it only means that all reported problems will be acted upon if they can be reproduced in any of the three browsers mentioned above. Also, there is no guarantee that action will occur promptly — real life can unexpectedly intrude on anyone at any time.)
- Query history
- Easier updating, perhaps (if necessary — installing over an old version works just as well)
- Uninstall option
- Automatic login (if it's possible)
- Definition queries
- More links to other useful sites
- Don't create new window/tab if the current one has a Metagrams page in it — a preference to disable (if this is even possible, which I think it is)
- Not implemented (and won't be):
- Web search for query button: searching from the location bar is just as easy, and at least Firefox 0.8 has a customizable Search bar that allows searches of a bewildering array of search engines, including Google. (I don't know about similar capabilities as I don't use them)
- Skinning: the Metagrams Toolbar for Mozilla will inherit any existing browser theme. However, if anyone wishes to make a toolbar-specific skin, it will be welcomed (assuming it looks even half-decent — the current skin is about as ugly as anything).
- Popup blocking: this is already in Gecko-based browsers.
If you have any further questions, please give feedback. For bugs in the Metagrams Toolbar for Mozilla or with the site itself, please file a bug report in Bugzilla for it under the appropriate component.